Yes, there are some people who would like stricter gun laws and gun control in this country. (By the way, I am NOT one of those people.)
Yes, there are a few extremists who want to ban all guns in our country. (By the way, Pres. Obama is NOT one of them.) As far as a know, there are no politicians asking for a ban on ALL guns.
So please, stop the madness and all the illogical arguments. Here is what I mean.
Every time the news reports someone being killed by someone with any type of weapon besides a gun, people start to sarcastically say that weapon (whatever it may be) should be outlawed. I know it is meant to be fun, and the first few times it was funny. But not anymore. It has gotten both ridiculous and illogical.
Below are just a few examples of what I have read lately.
- The FBI reports that more people are killed each year with hammers than guns – “Ban all hammers!”
- More people are killed by cars and motorcycles than guns – “Ban all cars and motorcycles!”
- Someone is murdered with a knife – “Ban all knives!”
- Someone falls down some steps and dies – “Ban all steps!”
- One person pushes another person in front of a subway and kills them – “Ban all subways!”
- Some lunatic somewhere smothers a person to death with a pillow – “Ban all pillows!”
I am not against guns and I am all in favor of the 2nd amendment. I support your right to own as many guns as you would like to own.
What I am against is idiocy that borders on insanity.
It’s killing me.
“Ban all stupidity!”
Here is the flaw in all the above statements:
- The primary purpose of a hammer is to build things.
- The primary purpose of cars and motorcycles is transportation.
- The primary purpose of knives is to cut things or to carve things.
- The primary purpose of steps is to climb.
- The primary purpose of subways is mass transportation.
- The primary purpose of pillows is comfort.
Can you name any other purpose for guns than to kill? Kill for food, kill out of self-defense, or kill out of aggression. Guns have one purpose and one purpose only. If a person uses a gun to shoot and kill something that are using the gun for its intended purpose.
Yes, people intent on killing will find a weapon. Often (more than likely almost always) the tool used to kill another person is not the primary reason for that tool.
The reason guns are not used more as a murder weapon is because the vast majority of gun owners are responsible, law abiding people.
I enjoy a good debate. I love learning from people with which I disagree. I disagree with most gun control arguments. But to be honest, arguments for gun control are more logical than the emotional reactions I hear from people who are afraid someone wants to take away all their guns.
If you are against stricter gun control laws, please know that your illogical statements hurt your cause. You are better than that. You have the Constitution on your side. You don’t need to stoop to idiocy.
I feel better now.
Please do not use this post to kill me.
I don’t want blogs banned.
That would violate my first amendment rights and I am rather fond of that one.