I know it sounds a little self-serving, but as I was reading all the different top 10 news stories of 2010, I had the idea to come up with my own top 10 list of news and events that had a direct impact on my life. Some of the items on my list were major news stories, but others were simply things that happened to me and my family over the past year.
So, if you are still interested in reading, here is my top 10 news stories of 2010.
- My first born child, Katherine, graduated from high school. I still see her as a 10 year old little girl, but I am learning to see her as an adult, and nervously letting her experience life on her own. But she will always be “daddy’s little girl.”
- Failing Like Jesus. One of my life goals was to have a book published, and that was accomplished in 2010. It’s not a best-seller, but I have received reports of it impacting lives. I have a few more books to write, some of the working titles are Leadership in 3-D, Into the Wilderness, and The Beginning of Everything.
- Dive trip on a sailboat through the Bahamas with Katherine. This was Katherine’s graduation gift. We spent a week living on a sailboat, scuba diving throughout the Bahamas.
- Honduras mission trip. This is an annual trip for me, and each trip is a new experience. This year’s trip was extra special because Katherine was with me.
- The May Floods in Middle Tennessee. Words cannot express the devastation of the flood and the response of the people across Middle Tennessee.
- The continued recession. Experts keep telling us we are coming out of the recession, but my experience has been otherwise. While God has supplied my needs, I have many friends and family members who are still looking for jobs.
- The earthquake in Haiti. Again, words cannot describe the devastation and the continued struggle of people in Haiti.
- Healthcare reform. I am on board, recognizing the needs for our healthcare system to change. However, I am not sure the reform that passed is the answer. Beginning on January 1, 2011, my healthcare cost is going up significantly.
- Changes in the U.S. Supreme Court. I just recently learned that for the first time in our country’s history, the U.S. Supreme Court convened without a single Protestant member (6 Catholics and 3 Jews).
- Fantasy Football Champion. After finishing dead least in our church’s fantasy football league in 2009, I won this year’s championship. From last to first. Isn’t that biblical?
- Church massacre in Bagdad. I know this is a top 10 list, but I had to add this one. The massacre took place on Sunday, October 31st. It hit close to home because one of my students at Nashville State is from Bagdad and his family knew some of the people killed. On Sunday, November 14th, my student, and three of his friends (also Christians from Bagdad), come to FCC and shared their story. Here is a link to what they shared and a link to a video that made and shared with us.
Happy New Year!!
I pray God’s blessings on your 2011.